Illustrated poetry: ‘Oh rascal children of Gaza’
Rafah-born author and poet Khaled Juma wrote a heartbreaking tribute to the children of the Gaza Strip amidst the missiles striking his hometown. At least 506 Palestinian children have been killed since Israel commenced its latest invasion of Gaza on July 8, 2014
Photograph #1: A Palestinian boy, who fled with his family from their home during Israeli air strikes, bathes his brother at a United Nations-run school in the Jabalya Refugee Camp in the northern Gaza Strip on July 31, 2014. The school is a designated shelter for Palestinians who were displaced by Israel’s offensive. Photo credit: Mohammed Salem
Photograph #2: A Palestinian girl reacts at the scene of an explosion carried out by the Israeli military that killed at least eight children and wounded 40 more in a public garden in Gaza City on July 28, 2014. Photo credit: Finbarr O’Reilly
Photograph #3: A traumatized Palestinian child is comforted by a man arranging care for him in a hospital in Gaza City following an Israeli air strike on July 9, 2014. Photo credit: Momen Faiz
Photograph #4: A Palestinian child pulls out toys from a box at a local market in Gaza City during a temporary ceasefire on August 6, 2014. Palestinian and Israeli delegations met in Cairo with Hamas demanding an end to the siege on Gaza and Israel demanding a demilitarization of the territory. Photo credit: Lefteris Pitarakis
Photograph #5: A Palestinian boy sleeps at a United Nations-run school in Gaza City on July 14, 2014, after fleeing with his family from their home in Beit Lahya. Photo credit: Mohammed Salem
Photograph #6: Doctors tend to injured children while a young girl sitting on her mother’s lap cries at a hospital in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on August 4, 2014. Photo credit: Eyad El Baba
Photograph #7: A Palestinian girl cries while being treated at a hospital in Beit Lahya following after sustaining injuries from an Israeli air strike on a United Nations school in the Jabalya Refugee Camp on July 30, 2014. Photo credit: Khalil Hamra
Photograph #8: Two Palestinians girls celebrate the first day of Eid Al-Fitr on the grounds of a United Nations school in the Jabalya Refugee Camp in the northern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2014. Their families are among the dozens that have fled their homes and sought refuge in the school. Normally, Muslim families in Palestine celebrate Eid Al-Fitr by visiting one another and gifting children with new clothes and shoes. Photo credit: Khalil Hamra
Photograph #9: One-and-a-half year old Razel Netzlream was killed after she was fatally hit by shrapnel from an Israeli air strike on an adjacent home the previous day. Her father carries her body to the funeral in Khan Younis on July 18, 2014. Photo credit: Alessio Romenzi
Photograph #10: A portrait of Shahed Quishta, 8, is fixed to a pillar in her home in Beit Lahya on August 16, 2014, after an Israeli tank fired a shell into the living room. She was killed on July 22, 2014. Photo credit: Khalil Hamra
6 hours agoAugust 28, 2014 12,791 notes Reblog
I’ve already done this but sidramatic tagged me and I’d do anything twice for her. This time I’ll keep it within my most played playlist so it’ll be more accurate than last time.
First 10 songs on shuffle.
- Dory Previn by Camera Obscura
- Fall At Your Feet by Boy & Bear
- Halogen by Neon Indian
- Come Home by One Republic
- The Story by Donora
- [Nowhere] by Gem Club
- I’ll Try Anything Once by Julian Casablancas
- Home by Now by Bombay Bicycle Club
- Galaxy by Akdong Musician
- No More Home, No More Love by Soko
6 hours agoAugust 28, 2014 5 notes Reblog
Tagged by the sidramatic aka queen
Rule 1: Always post rules.
Rule 2: Answer the questions the person who tagged you asked, and write ten new ones.
Rule 3: Tag ten people and link them here.
Rule 4: Tell them you tagged them.
1. What is the proudest moment of your life?
The times my friends tell me how much our friendships have grown and the good positive growths that have happened despite struggles (from either life or the friendship).
2. What is something you learned about yourself, or learned to like about yourself this year?
I exist and that’s quite alright.
3. Describe your ideal date/night.
Go to a concert or some kind of event, eat nice food, get tipsy and wander the nighttime, get home or a hotel, cuddle, float/drown in music, breakfast, commence the next day.
4. Right handed or left?
5. Where were you born? Do you still live there?
Toronto. I’ve moved so many times since Toronto.
6. Someone gives you 5,000$ in trip vouchers. Where do you go?
Wanna go to Taiwan again with sammiewei
7. Do you believe in love?
I go between the immense satisfaction of either using your energy to work and grow a relationship or using that energy towards something you want to do for yourself.
8. What is your favorite book?
Favorites often change but if I had to reread something right this moment I would choose ‘This Is The Story of a Happy Marriage’ by Ann Patchett (chose something that’s currently on my bookshelf, in fact I’m going to read some of it again tonight!).
9. What is a skill or talent you have that most people don’t know about?
Er. I know how to play fundamental bass.
10. Tell us a funny story.
Sidra…I am most definitely the worst at retelling a story much less a funny one.
Here’s some questions.
1. What song are you listening to right now or which song did you most recently listen to and does it remind you of anyone?
2. Name a random pet peeve.
3. Are you looking forward to any new movies? New TV series / seasons? New album releases?
4. What do you think is a strength of yours that a close friend of yours would cosign.
5. How are you feeling today?
6. How do you like your eggs?
7. Post a screenshot of your lockscreen and your homescreen of your phone or a screenshot of your desktop.
8. What is a go-to self care of yours?
9. Do you dance in your underwear? Do you sing in the shower?
10. Is it easy for you to recognize your own feelings? Consequently do you think you are able to express them easily?
Tagging: v10l3n7, tokkicat, awear, theblackscottsummers and anyone else who wants to answer my ten questions.
6 hours agoAugust 28, 2014 3 notes Reblog